What is CHIP Perinatal?
The Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) Perinatal Care offers prenatal care to the unborn baby of pregnant women who cannot get Medicaid.
CHIP Perinatal Benefits
- Up to 20 prenatal visits
- Prescriptions and prenatal vitamins
- Labor with delivery of the baby
- Two checkups for the mother after the baby is born
- Checkups, immunizations and prescriptions for the baby after the baby leaves the hospital
Driscoll Health Plan offers the CHIP plan in the following counties:
Nueces Service Area
- Jim Wells
- Live Oak
- San Patricio
Your Value-Added Services
Dental care for pregnant women 19 years of age and older
- One dental exam, x-rays, two teeth cleanings, and additional gum treatment per year.
Cell phone minutes and texting
- 250 extra minutes and health education text messages per month for certain members.
First aid kit
- One first-aid kit per family for new members five years of age and younger.
Gifts for completing checkups
- One $20 gift card for pregnant members who get a prenatal checkup within 42 days of joining DHP or first trimester.
Prenatal education and parenting classes for moms
- Prenatal Education Sessions – Cadena de Madres hosts three baby showers for new moms. Each shower teaches about each pregnancy trimester.
- Car Seat – Pregnant members can get a car seat after attending all three baby showers.
- Gift Cards – Get up to $40 in gift cards for going to two of three baby showers.
- Members can get help to learn about breast-feeding and nutrition.
- Birthing classes for pregnant members at certain sites.
- Parenting class for members who just had a baby.
- Classes on having a baby at certain local area hospitals.
- Help with getting a ride to doctor visits or certain health classes.
*This is not an all-inclusive list of extra services. Restrictions and/or limitations apply. These extra services are valid through August 2017.
CHIP Service Area
For more information, visit http://chipmedicaid.org/en/CHIP-Perinatal.